List:       info-cyrus
Subject:    Re: [POLL] virtual domains and Murder
From:       Michael Fair <michael () daclubhouse ! net>
Date:       2002-07-25 18:23:54

> Can we hear from the rest of the virtdomain clan?  Do people have a
> misconception of what Murder does, or are they smarter than Rob and I,
> and see a way to leverage its power/design?

After reading the other responses I now understand
better what people are saying.

My primary concern was with increasing the
transparency to end users when things need
to move around or grow.  My goal was then
how to get the maximum amount of flexibility
with the most amount of transparency and it
seemed that the murder could help in that arena.
However after reading some of more recent posts
I can't see any significant gain in the murder
environment to warrant a complex coding solution.

As you have suggested, it seems that everything
that could be done with a murder in terms of
virtual domains can also be done using a set
of single servers and murders for those clients
that require it.

- If you are moving a set of mailboxes from one
server to another that can be a planned outage.
So that's a little annoyance we'll deal.

- Worst case scenario I can envision would be
if a server fails and you bring another one up
in its place, restore mailboxes from a backup,
and for some reason you are unable to reuse the
same IP addresses of the failed server.  Then
some end users will have to wait for the DNS
expiration of the old hostname->IP mapping.

But I guess the same is true if a front end
IP bound server failed in the murder and you
weren't able to move the IP to another front
end server so the potential failure is equivalent.

Well you guys have convinced me.

Barring High-Availability or some sort of
cross domain Shared Folder setup (either a
a set of Globally Shared Folders or
Interdomain Shared Folders), neither of which
Cyrus supports at this time for virtual domains,
I can't see any significant benefit to IP based
virtual domains in a murder because a set of
single servers doing IP based virtual hosting
is functionally equivalent (incorporating a
murder if you have a client big enough to
demand it would be a dedicated murder for that
client so it wouldn't require virtual hosting).

My $0.02

-- Michael --