List:       info-cyrus
Subject:    Re: [STATUS] Virtual domain support (7/19/02)
From:       Michael Fair <michael () daclubhouse ! net>
Date:       2002-07-24 18:13:06

There are stateful packet inspecting software
bandwidth throttling programs which would work
even on IP aliases.  Especially a *BSD/Linux
box acting as a firewall/traffic shaping bridge.

In this case any ordinary IP firewall rule is
used to dictate the up/down bandwidth.

Though I'm with Jeremy on the threat analysis.
It seems to me that the number of end users
smart enough to actually A) know that they
don't have to use what they were told, and
B) figure out what other IP they could use,
and C) know they are going to get more
bandwidth for their email out of it versus
the number of people who just do what they're
told and have a hard time even doing that isn't
worth any herculian efforts to defend against.

I can see three options:
A) Use the restriction method you mentioned
(though I certainly think as an option and
not the default (what implications does this
have for a Murder setup?))

B) Get to it the next time around in a
2.2.x release.

C) Make a flag that enforces the domain name
   following the '@' must either not exist or
   must match the domain retrieved from the IP
   address.

Out of curiousity.... How is the domain determined
from the IP address is it a config option somewhere
or does it just use whatever is returned from the
reverse lookup on the IP number?  If the latter,
then either the hosts file or the DNS entries
need to be modified (and one doesn't always have
control over the reverse lookup responses).

-- Michael --