List:       info-cyrus
Subject:    Re: [POLL] Virtual domains design
From:       Michael Fair <michael () daclubhouse ! net>
Date:       2002-06-30 2:28:17

> Phil Dibowitz wrote:
> >
> > Ken Murchison wrote:
> >
> > > - Does each domain need to have its own set of admins, or is one set
of
> > > server-wide admins sufficient?
> >
> > This would certainly be a plus - individual admins.
>
> Does that mean that there is still a global (site) admin that has access
> to all domains?

Yes, this would be similar to delegating authority to
particular users (perhaps through a web interface or something)
or one of the ISP admins who has to fix a mistake or set up
a new domain.

> > > - Does each domain need to have its own set of config options?
> >
> > Yes, yes, yes! Well... I supposed it doesn't NEED to, but I look at this
as a
> > feature I very much want.
>
> Yeah, right after I thought about this I figured people would be like
> flies on shit.  ;)
>
> I'm not promising anything, just throwing stuff at the wall.

I would certainly prefer multiple "sections" similar
to the per IP config options.

This gets into Apache's "NameVirtualHost" parameter which
allows you to define an IP address with which to tie
multiple domain names.  You can then use the

<VirtualHost ip.from.NameVirtualHost.parameter>
    ServerName virtual.host.name

section to create/set paramters for that Virtual Domain.
So everything comes from the global section, and then this
section is used to override/add additional config options.

-- Michael --