List:       inet-access
Subject:    RE: Rack power...
From:       "Brent Wiese" <brently () bjwcs ! com>
Date:       2001-08-30 21:14:32

> It's an interesting question, though...how much does a "typical" 300W PS
> server, with, say a fairly madern Intel (or compat) processor, and say 2-4
> SCSI drives, consume on average?

Sometimes the mfg will know the answer, but expect their number to be low.
For example, we fully loaded a Network Engines dual p3 800 w/ 2 10k rpm scsi
drives and 2gb RAM. It drew 1.2 amps whereas NE said it would draw .8. We
went off their numbers at first and were blowing circuits left and right.

Something else to consider when doing this. If you figure you'll draw 24a I
would *much* rather have 2 x 20a circuits than 1 x 30a. Why? Redundancy.
Especially if any of the equipment has dual power supplies. Plugging them
into separate circuits is smart, as is, for example, dividing a server
cluster over 2 circuits.

Cheers,
Brent

-
Recent archives of the list can be found at:
http://mix.twistedpair.ca/pipermail/inet-access/