List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: syslog into perl
From:       Paul Gregg <pgregg () niweb ! com>
Date:       2001-08-28 11:55:35

In article <Pine.BSF.4.21.0108261052530.25419-100000@mercury.jorsm.com> you wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Pete Templin wrote:
>>
>> List,
>>
>> 	Is there any easy way to have my syslog server put messages
>> received from routers into a perl script?  If possible, I'd like to parse
>> the messages and send an email if "interesting" links should flap.
>
> tail -f /var/log/routerlogfile | parsingscript.pl

man syslog.conf

You can use:

*.*			|/usr/local/sbin/parsingscript.pl

and assuming the script loops around a while(<STDIN>) {
then the perl script should stay open to read all lines piped to it
from syslog.

Syslog will reopen the script if it exits for any reason.

Paul.
--
| Paul Gregg			|T: +44 (0) 28 90424190
| Technical Director		|F: +44 (0) 28 90424709
| The Internet Business Ltd	|W: http://www.tibus.com
| Holywood House, Innis Court	|E: info@tibus.com
| Holywood, Co Down, BT18 9HF	|P: pgregg@tibus.com

-
Recent archives of the list can be found at:
http://mix.twistedpair.ca/pipermail/inet-access/