List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Outsourced dialup
From:       "S. Reineke" <sreineke () springsips ! com>
Date:       2001-08-23 22:51:48

We've been talking about this with UUnet, because our current outsourced
provider (star2.net) is not meeting our quality standards.

What we've been talking about is to do it ourselves - YIKES - because no
one else seems to be doing it well enough. I hate that!  We've been
thinking that we'd look at ISP's who want this service - real ISP's, not
the totally virtual ones that most wholesalers appeal to. This is not
our sole product, mostly we're just a small local ISP, but want the
national POPs for our clients that leave town and want to keep our
service and those clients who need to roam.

This is just in the very beginning stages, although we've been
researching the possibility for about a month now... After a massive
number of tech calls were coming in because our provider was rearranging
service in their office, midday, and pulled the plug on the proxy server
for authentication, we really started trying to find another solution.
DOH!

Contact me off-list if you want to know more, I'm happy to share.

S.

up@3.am wrote:

> I know this has been hashed before, but it's a moving target: I've had so
> many problems with my new PRI CLEC that I'm considering going to
> outsourced dialup.  I'd really appreciate feedback for the following:
>
> 1: National, or at least Northeastern US coverage
> 2: Reliable!
> 3: does proxy radius
> 4: competitive per user (< $6 per) or per port (< $20 per) charges
> 5: No setup fees
> 6: reasonable commitments (~1k users)
>
> On or off list...thanks!
>
> James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
> up@3.am                                                     http://3.am

^^^
S. Reineke
SpringSips
The Fast, Fun, Friendly, Affordable Internet Service Provider
sreineke@springsips.com
vox:  970.871.0913
http://www.springsips.com
-
Recent archives of the list can be found at:
http://mix.twistedpair.ca/pipermail/inet-access/