List:       inet-access
Subject:    RE: NAT alone vs. Firewall
From:       "Brent Wiese" <brently () bjwcs ! com>
Date:       2001-06-28 2:55:43

Let them use NAT, but encourage them to get an IDS box, or offer to build
them one using snort or the like.

Shouldn't be hard to convince them that shelling out $5k to watch the wire
for intrusion attempts is a whole lot less than even a few hours downtime
repairing a hacked machine.

You didn't mention if they do any port forwarding or static mappings... both
can be just as dangerous as sitting the box on the public wire.

Offer to build them an access list that logs portscans and such to prove the
point. Remind them if someone does manage to hack a machine on the inside,
then NAT really doesn't offer any protection since they can use something
like netcat to make the internal machine connect to theirs, bypassing the
"safety" of NAT. With the plethora of holes in IIS, its trivial to hack a
webserver behind NAT if port 80 is forwarded, then use netcat to happily
hack away at the rest of the network.

Best sales tatic - tell them to buy a copy of BlackICE and watch it for a
couple weeks. Bound to be something captured.

Cheers,
Brent

-