List:       inet-access
Subject:    RE: RealServer resouce util?
From:       "Brent Wiese" <brently () bjwcs ! com>
Date:       2001-06-26 19:58:18

> At 10:15 AM 6/26/2001, you wrote:
> >Would anyone who runs Real servers care to comment on their resource
> >utilization? I'm primarily concerned with CPU/memory util; I figure the
> >bandwidth consumption will be fairly simple (15 streams *
> bits/s/stream for
> >anticipated clients).
>
> I've run Real in the past... the server uses little in the way of
> CPU, and
> it isn't even a memory hog... the resource hog is the encoder.

Yeah, live streams are nothing. You could push several thousand from any
p2/p3 machine. You're usually more limited by bandwidth.

Which is a good point... there is a huge difference between 15 22k streams
and 15 300k streams. You would be wise to find out what bitrates the client
will stream at and charge accordingly.

Cheers,
Brent

-
Recent archives of the list can be found at:
http://mix.twistedpair.ca/pipermail/inet-access/