List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Rejecting mail if ip has no dns entry
From:       Bill Campbell <bill () celestial ! com>
Date:       2001-04-25 18:09:08

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 10:07:57PM -0400, Jamin A. Brown wrote:
>Just a brief addition/comment on this conversation...
>
>When you block by invalid DNS, it doesn't matter what the sending server
>uses as a HELO. There have been a couple responses that seem to indicate
>that it does.

The RFCs specifically say that one shouldn't reject based on the HELO
messages (it would probably eliminate most of the mail from Windows
machines who say that they're OEMCOMPUTER).

>All your mailserver is conerned with is that IP resolves to name, and name
>resolves back to that IP.

>I guess I just don't have a problem denying mail from legetimate hosts
>given that these people should know better in terms of setting up their
>DNS.

We won't reject because of a mismatch between the A and PTR records, but I
would like to reject if there's no PTR record.  IHMO, if an ISP can't
bother to set up the PTR, they don't deserve to send e-mail.  We don't do
this now, and well over half the spam that hits our systems is relayed
through sites with no reverse DNS.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

The Constitution is a written instrument.  As such, its meaning
does not alter.  That which it meant when it was adopted, it
means now.
-- SOUTH CAROLINA v. US, 199 U.S. 437, 448 (1905)
-
List archives can be found at: <http://www.moongroup.com/inet.php>