List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Burstable Bandwidth
From:       dsr () tao ! ne ! mediaone ! net
Date:       2001-01-31 21:33:16

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 02:57:28PM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz (E-mail) wrote:

> > 4. At the end of the month, close this record and start the
> > next month's cycle.
> >
> > 5. Sort all the values for the month. Delete the top 5% of the values.
> > This is the number which you bill for as "95th percentile".
>
> I think there was a step missing at the end. I'm now left with 95% of
> the total number of samples taken. I see three possibilities:
>
> 3. Take the highest value remaining, and bill for that. This is what *I
> assume* you meant.

Sorry, yes. It should have been:

The next number on the stack is the billable number.

> I also assume that this is meant to lop off abnormally high spikes to
> avoid overbilling, while keeping as much revenue as possible. Can you
> confirm whether my reasoning is accurate?

Exactly. In a 30 day month, there are 2880 samples. 144, or 36 hours,
is your margin to filter DDOS attacks, or end a Slashdotting, or hunt
down a spammer.

Alternatively, at a 9-5 workplace, a customer's most demanding workweek
every month is not counted. This can be a major selling point...

Dan Ritter
Akamai Network Consulting
617 250 3035
-