List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: whynot.net -- DOS or junk
From:       Paul Chvostek <paul () it ! ca>
Date:       2000-12-31 21:00:06

I'm seeing similar stuff on a mail server with about 15000 accounts,
with about 25500 inbound messages per day.  I only have logs going
back to December 10th, and the highest number in a day was 294 of 'em
on December 20th.  The average over the last two weeks is 52 per day.

Aside from the odd host at bigfoot.com, trentu.ca, uact.net and
others, ours are mostly coming from 210.x.x.x as well, resolving (if
they resolve at all) to hosts in .tw, .hk, .jp, .kr, .cn, and .sg,

Of course, we've had the domain whynot.net manually blocked in our
sendmail access file for over a year.  I've *never* had a response from
anyone there, despite complaints going back to late 1998.  (And yes,
I've provided an unblocked contact address. :] ) And of course, I've
never heard any users complain that they couldn't receive mail from
people within that domain.

It looks as if the folks at whynot.net are not related to this use
of their domain, but the block certainly reduces the amount of trash
coming in to our network.

--
  Paul Chvostek                                            <paul@it.ca>
  Operations / Development / Abuse / Whatever      vox: +1 416 598 0000

-