List:       inet-access
Subject:    RE: Results of SPAM Testing
From:       Michael J Wise <mjwise () kapu ! net>
Date:       2000-12-28 20:48:14

Rodolfo J. Paiz (E-mail) wrote:

> > Let's see. If they are distibuted even SLIGHTLY like they are
> > at my place of orking, that would be about 1,000 : 1 in terms
> > of domains to mail servers. So that gives us about 33,000
> > mailhosts.
>
> And the moon is made of green cheese. Yes, there are hosting companies in
> the world with that kind of ratio.

Place-Of-Orking is not primarily a hosting company. We deal with dialup as
our main business, plus DSL and hosting. And of the ~16k IP addresses
under our control, there are a thousand domains, and only a handful of
mail servers, including mine (via sDSL).

> However, to suggest the global ratio is 1000:1 is preposterous;

As is a suggestion that 10:1 is a norm.   (;-)

Most people, when acquainted with even SOME of the issues of running their
own mail server, decide to let the ISP deal with it, even if it will
result in a significant monthly savings for only a little extra work on
their part.

Aloha mai Nai`a!
--
"Please have your Internet License             http://kapu.net/~mjwise/