List:       inet-access
Subject:    Intelligent bounces and forwarding to new addresses...
From:       Ryan Collins <rlcolli () ibm ! net>
Date:       2000-10-28 18:13:27

I've recently been hired at a school district, and am migrating the e-mail
system to from AppleShare IP to a Linux solution. At the same time, I'm
redoing the teacher's e-mail addresses. Their old addresses are in the form
of:
XX_flastname

(Where XX is a designation on which school they are in, f is their first
initial and then their last name)

I've set up my Linux box, and created the users. I've setup aliases for
their old e-mail address to go to their new. I've also setup an account to
catch all e-mail that is misaddressed (just incase I've missed someone).

When the "catch-all" account receives a mail message, I want to be able to
do 2 things:
-Redirect it to the correct e-mail address, without doing a forward
-Send a bounce message notifying the sender of the correct e-mail address

Additionally, I just want to be able to send a bounce message back if the
user is no longer here.

I plan on doing this manually for each message (we only have ~170 teachers,
and I should have most of their aliases set up correctly).

This is only on a temporary basis for this transition period. What would be
the best way to handle what I want to do?

Thanks!

--
Ryan Collins

-