List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: SPAM from Critical Path [support@cp.net: CRITICALPATH
From:       "Derek J. Balling" <dballing () yahoo-inc ! com>
Date:       2000-09-28 3:30:08

At 5:32 PM -0700 9/27/00, Steve VanDevender wrote:
>Speaking of problems, I assume you're going to fix the yahoo.com mail
>servers that haven't been accepting mail for much of today?

PLEASE don't get me started on that topic... ;-)

FYI - It should be cleared up in 24-48 hours. We had trouble GETTING
somewhere, so it queued, the machines got WAY too much in their
queues (the unresponsive site was someone big), they started shutting
down accepting connections because they had nowhere to PUT it, so
then it started queuing in the outside world. The source problem is
gone, but now when an MTA comes online, it gets slammed by everyone
in the outside world, immediately pushing it over the
(CPU|disk|concurrent-TCP-connects) limits, forcing it to stop
accepting until whichever problem is cleared up. I'm told there are
$SIGNIFICANT_QTY more machines going online this evening/tomorrow
morning, to hopefully relieve the pressure.

(who already has the head of a Y!Mail engineer hanging in his cube,
and who has already threatened to start forwarding all relevant
tech-contact phone calls to said corpse's manager if it doesn't get
cleared up soon).