List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: backup DNS
From:       Jeff Lasman <jblists () nobaloney ! net>
Date:       2000-04-27 8:42:13

Walter Landman wrote:

> I was curious how much do most companies charge for backup DNS for a
> domain name?

When we colo a box or rent a box out (Rent-A-Raq, we call it <smile>) we
include secondarying, although we might change eventually.

For others, we charge $1/month to do both primary and secondary,
$0.30-$0.40 depending on quantity, for secondary only.  We charge an
extra $10/month for letting customer have his own name-server name;
otherwise they get nsX.ns-one.net.

We have a small setup fee, $2 domain ($1 for secondarying only) but only
restart twice a day.  We charge $25 to restart servers outside of that
schedule.

We do have a minimum $20/month billing.  And I'm thinking of raising it.

Most of our customers think we're too expensive, but most of our
business advisors think we're too cheap.  So maybe, just maybe, we're
about right <smile>.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman <jblists@nobaloney.net>