List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Grrr:  bounce messages *with* attachments!
From:       "Josh Higham" <inet-access () bigsky ! net>
Date:       2000-02-28 23:56:25

>JC Dill writes:
> > I get quite irritated when I get (as list administrator of this
> > and other lists) bounce messages that have *attachments*:
>
> Speaking of stupid bounces...

And more...

What is with these hosts that have non-standard bounce replies?
Over the past few months I have noticed a proliferation of bounces
that either obfuscate the error message, or don't include it at all.

I don't know if this is related to a particular mail server (although
I know that exchange includes some unnecessary info, at least
it includes the cause of the error).  I have received bounce messages
that say:

'The message could not be delivered to the recipient.  Please check
the address and try again' or something very similar.  At the very
least a bounce should contain the server response code.

Josh

-