List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Content Filtering
From:       Rik Thomas <rikt () delaware ! net>
Date:       2000-01-31 18:09:15

I recommend X-stop.  We hit a few bumps getting it working.  However it
works and works good. It filters online 35 different categories, including
like time wasting sites, so you can sell this to businesses too.  If you
are running PM3s it is a pretty easy implementation.  It will also,
block/monitor, ftp, nntp, and smtp.  Pretty cool system.
Updates are available everynight.  Each account gets 4 logins for varying
levels of filtering.

I do not like the administrative interface, it is extremely undocumented
and clunky.  Their documentation is poor as well.  However their tech
support is awesome and they will take the time to explain everything with
you.  They have been claiming better documentation for the better part of
3 months, I have not seen it.

If I recall correctly n2h2 didn't didn't allow multiple accounts and
didn't block email, ftp and nntp.  I think it was only port 80 and 443
stuff.  But it has been about 9 months since I have reviewed things.

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Susie Ward wrote:

> I've been looking at several server side content filters and I've about
> decided to go with the Bess Filter from http://www.n2h2.com/   I was hoping
> some of you had used it and could give me any information good or bad on
> how well it works.
>
> Also, if anyone has suggestions for other filters I might have overlooked
> in my search, that would be appreciated too.  Main features I'm looking for
> is it must be a server side type filter and it must have a "parental
> override" feature of some kind.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Susie
> -
> Send 'unsubscribe' in the body to 'list-request@inet-access.net' to leave.
> Eat sushi frequently.   inet@inet-access.net is the human contact address.

Rik Thomas CTO rikt@delaware.net
Delaware.Net, Inc. http://www.delaware.net
P:302.736.5515 F:302.736.5947 ICQ:879956

Check out our Tucows Linux Mirror
http://delaware.linux.tucows.com

-