List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: T1 Capacity
From:       JC Dill <inet-list () vo ! cnchost ! com>
Date:       1999-06-10 2:22:30

On 08:03 PM 6/9/99 -0400, Dennis sent forth across the ether('net):

>>You say "by the time you run MRTG on your lines its too late" which is
>>false. MRTG is a good tool for gauging bandwidth that is in use. This is a
>>much better tool to use then simply guestimating and forcing all your
>>customers into a pattern for bandwidth graphing and prediction.
>
>As long as you start tiny and grow slowly, yes, but It seems unlikely that
>the phone companies or someone planning a multi-pop business could do so in
>such a manner.
>
>If a future astronaut asked how much oxygen to bring on the space shuttle,
>and you told him to watch the meter on the tank, he might be dead before he
>realized he guessed wrong, which is exactly what I was saying.

It may have been what you *meant* to say, but it certainly wasn't "exactly
what you were saying".

Your statement about the value and importance of advance research (above)
is good, your previous statement about the value (or lack thereof) in
measuring current consumption was incomplete and thus faulty.

jc
-