List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: spam DoS attacks
From:       jlewis () lewis ! org
Date:       1999-05-31 23:10:06

On Mon, 31 May 1999, Robert Szarka wrote:

> My first idea was to use something like BGP route-flapping control:  set a
> cost for each bad RCPT and lock out that address after a certain total over
> a certain period of time.  Spam software could adapt to that by
> round-robining through a list of target servers, so as to not exceed the
> cost but at least it *would* reduce the DoS nature of the attack.

That might help depending on the spammer.  We had a spammer customer that
was disconnecting/reconnecting every 15 minutes or so, getting a different
IP address each time.

----don't waste your cpu, crack rc5...www.distributed.net team enzo---
 Jon Lewis *jlewis@lewis.org*|  Spammers will be winnuked or
 System Administrator        |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Atlantic Net                |  to get the job done.
_________http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key__________

-