List:       inet-access
Subject:    RE: This latest Holy War
From:       Dennis <dennis () etinc ! com>
Date:       1999-05-31 5:52:32

>For years I have gotten notices from people telling me my DNS isn't up to
>standards, that I had opened relay's, etc., etc.  Though I may or may not
>agree with ORBS or any other method, I don't see how it would be construed
>as illegal.

If someone threatens to hurt your business is could be construed as
*illegal*, not in the sense of a crime but as a civil matter.

>I can write a peice of mail to the owners of XWY cookies telling them that I
>am planning to boycott their cookies because the characters on their box
>appear to be performing an ancient fertility act. (or more modern day,
>writting Lucas films and saying I'm arranging a boycott of their latest film
>since Jar Jar's characterization is obviously racist).

There is a difference, organizing a boycott based on questionable reasoning
and boycotting it as an individual are different matters.

Subscribers to orbs are more likely doing something thats illegal...perhaps
a better analogy is Mailboxes USA proclaiming that they dont allow the
delivery of  junk mail because it fills up their dumpster when all of their
clients throw it away. Although they have a legitimate cost in disposal of
the junk mail, they have no right to make the decision for the client even
though they own the mailboxes. If someone missed an important correpondence
they could be held liable...criminally in the case of US mail. I can easily
see how it can be argued that email, in todays marketplace, is just as
essential.

DB

-