List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Monitoring availability of web servers
From:       Robert Szarka <szarka () downcity ! net>
Date:       1999-05-30 17:31:43

At 08:49 PM 3/26/99 , optimum.net newsgate wrote:
>We host a few dozen web sites for our customers. To check the availability
>of these servers, I use a small monitoring script which connects to each
>server at port 80, and looks at the response to a HEAD /. Recently we've
>set up a new server that uses SSL. Since telnetting to port 443 doesn't
>really do much, is there some simple way for a monitoring script to make
>sure this server is answering queries?

Old message, but didn't see this suggested, so...

There is an SSL version of Lynx.  Lynx can retrieve a web page from the
command line and output to STDOUT using the -dump option.  (There is also a
Perl library with built-in routines for accessing the same library Lynx
uses, but not sure whether that support SSL.)  So create a small file and
have your script attempt to retrieve it and look for some nice, unique
string in the file.

Hope that helps.  :)

--

Robert Szarka