List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Network security problem: 205.232.34.1 is an open email relay
From:       jlewis () lewis ! org
Date:       1999-05-29 2:22:29

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Alex Kamantauskas wrote:

> Which is why I, for one, support the MAPS project.  While I understand the
> principles behind ORBS, I still believe in the time honored principle that
> one is "innocent until proven guilty".
>
> I think I would appreciate and support the ORBS if all they did was inform
> the administrator of a relay that his relay was open rather than just
> block it, regardless of whether or not it has been used for spamming.  It

Their objectives are noticably different.  The point of MAPS is to
blacklist sites known to be generating large amounts of SPAM.  The point
of ORBS is to make a serious effort to prevent any relayed SPAM from
entering the system.

If I were still running a system that acted as my personal SMTP server,
I'd probably use ORBS.  As an admin at a sizable ISP, ORBS isn't a
realistic option, as it will block too much, and we would get complaints
that somebody's aunt Sue can't send them email anymore.

At my previous job we used to occasionally get complaints as the above due
to sites being blocked by MAPS sendmail rules.  In those cases, I just
explained to the customer that the site in question was blocked because
they were a major source of spam, and it was for the good of the system
that we blocked it.

----don't waste your cpu, crack rc5...www.distributed.net team enzo---
 Jon Lewis *jlewis@lewis.org*|  Spammers will be winnuked or
 System Administrator        |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Atlantic Net                |  to get the job done.
_________http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key__________

-