List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: common carrier status++
From:       Ivan Kohler <ivan-inet-access () sisd ! com>
Date:       1999-04-30 23:47:31

On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 11:34:00AM -0500, Chris Savage wrote:

> True enough.  The key thing under current law is to ask if *ALL* the
ISP
> does is ship bits or whether it also stores, processes, retrieves, etc.
> information on behalf of its customers.  If the former, carrier status could
> apply; if the latter, probably not.

Pure IP connectivity sounds to me like "shipping bits".

Is web caching "shipping bits" or "storing, processing, retrieving, etc." ?

What about web hosting?  Shell accounts?  News?  Email?

DNS?  (zone files are stored, processed, and retrieved.)

--
Ivan Kohler <ivan@sisd.com> - finger for PGP key - <moc.dsis@navi> Relhok Navi
Open-source billing and administration for ISPs - http://www.sisd.com/freeside