List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Tape Drives.
From:       Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay ! net>
Date:       2008-09-16 20:15:10

Once upon a time, Keith <kwoody@citytel.net> said:
> Needs to run with Amanda and FreeBSD. We will be backing up about 6
> machines. Acutally only certain parts of the machines will be backed up,
> not the entire 80+GB drive that is in each machine.

I like DLT/SDLT tapes and Overland libraries.  We have a dual-drive
Overland library with SDLT320 drives; we run Arkeia on Linux to talk to
it (but mtx works just fine also, so I would expect Amanda could handle
it).  We barcode all our tapes to make tracking them easy (Arkeia and
mtx both see the labels).

The door started sticking on our library, where we had to use a
screwdriver to pop it open after releasing it.  We called Overland, and
they were prepping a replacement library to send to us with very little
hassle (it is about 2 years old under a 3 year warranty IIRC).  Somebody
figured out that the little metal bar that sticks through the sensor was
bent and straightened it out before Overland shipped (so we didn't
actually replace it), but I was impressed with the support.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>
Eat sushi frequently. - Avi