List:       inet-access
Subject:    HVAC - Refurb Liebert Efficiency
From:       "Eric Kagan" <eklists () axsne ! com>
Date:       2008-08-22 20:05:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

We have an existing data center and it was originally designed with one
refurb Liebert System 3 and one new System 3 (the refurb was brought in due
to lead times).   Aside from "looks" the refurb unit functions perfectly
well and I was told the refurb company guts the unit and uses mostly new
parts yada yada yada...... These are chilled water only units - no
compressors.   We are in need of a 3rd unit and I am trying to determine if
we should go with another refurb or new ?  The refurb unit is about half the
price, but what I am wondering is if there is an efficiency issue (in terms
of power consuption / and cooling in general) that would warrant the extra
cost of the new unit ?  Just to give an idea - its about a $10K savings.  I
tried to do some lookups for white papers, etc and couldn't find anything
and I am trying to avoid bringing in an engineer to run the calcs as that
will defeat most of the savings.  Any info / docs / links would be
appreciated.

Thanks
Eric