List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: nmapping intermediate nodes
From:       "Scott Weeks" <surfer () mauigateway ! com>
Date:       2007-09-04 21:20:31

-------- sglines@is-cs.com wrote: ------------

I've run into a strange problem. I have 2 systems that need to
communicate with each other via email. System A has no problem talking
to system B but System B cannot set up a connection with system A. So
far I've sent mail from B to A via C but it's a major annoyance. I'd
like to use B as an alternative MX for A but as long as they can't talk
directly it's a pain.

Here's the thing:
I can do an nmap of B from A in about 5 seconds - perfect results.
nmap from B to A just hangs. I can ssh between the two however.

So my question is how can I find out who along the route is blocking me?

You might try "tcptraceroute <ip address> 25".

scott

# tcptraceroute 1.1.1.1 25
Selected device xl0, address 2.2.2.2, port 58839 for outgoing packets
Tracing the path to 72.235.208.254 on TCP port 25, 30 hops max
<snip>