List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Dataroom Layout square footage
From:       jp <jp () saucer ! midcoast ! com>
Date:       2006-11-06 19:47:04

This is about what we've done, space and layout wise. We also have a
couple walk through spaces in the middle of the row. Two racks, a rack
width blank spot, two more racks, blank spot, two more racks. We're not
real space efficient, but it is convenient. We'll run out of A/C before
we run out of places to put equipment.

Robert will also want 4"+ concrete floors and a high enough ceiling for
A/C ducts, plumbing, and wiring if it's not going to be the expensive
old school raised floor system. Cabinets will work on any sort of
flooring that can bear the weight, but 2-post racks will need to be
bolted down. I put my A/C up above on the second floor, since it's just
a storage room/attic area above my datacenter area. As a result, I don't
need a ladder to change air filters or check pan drains. We're also on a
6" concrete slab floor. Other locations I've mounted racks, I've drilled
right through the floor into the earth because the slab was too thin!
Now a lot of recent floors have radiant heat in the concrete, so check
before drilling in a new floor.

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 02:34:59PM -0500, andrew2@one.net wrote:
> Robert Hayden wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I'm wondering if anyone might be able to point me to any online
> > resources for extimating square footage for data facilities.
> >
> > We need to set up space in a new building being designed for a dozen
> > racks or so (some 2-post and some 4-post, maybe 6 of each) and are
> > having a hard time estimating how big the "room" needs to be to get
> > it pasted into the blueprints.  We don't need to profide great detail
> > now, just a "we need a room that is X by Y feet" that allows for the
> > racks and space around them to work.
>
> We work strictly with cabinets, so the numbers will be different for 2 post
> relay racks, but...
>
> We usually figure you need 3 feet of space in the back of the cabinet and 4
> or 5 feet of space in the front in order to work comfortably and have enough
> room to load equipment onto rails.  So, assuming a standard 2x3ft. Cabinet,
> you're looking at either a 10x2 or 11x2 footprint for each cabinet.  If
> you're doing multiple rows, you can share the space in the front/back so the
> same 4x2 or 3x2 area in front or back respectively can be used to service
> two cabinets.  So for you, depending on how the room can be shaped, it might
> make sense to do either:
>
> 1 row of 12 racks, leaving 3 ft. walkway at both ends of the row:
>
> 30 feet long by 10 or 11 feet wide
>
> -or-
>
> 2 rows of 6 racks, also leaving a 3ft. Walkway at both ends of the rows:
>
> 18 feet long by 16 or 17 feet wide (One cool aisle down the center, two hot
> aisles on the outside)
> 18 feet long by 17 or 19 feet wide (One hot aisle down the center, two cool
> aisles on the outside)
>
> That would be about the minimum size you'd be looking at.  You may be able
> to save some space by doubling up your 2 post racks if the equipment on them
> is small and doesn't need much cooling.  You could also save some space by
> leaving a 3ft. Walkway only on one end, but if you're lazy like me, that
> just means more walking to get around to the back of cabinets. :-)
>
> I find it's handy to take some graph paper and draw out a few layouts to see
> what makes the most sense.
>
> Andrew

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Internet Access,
    KB1IOJ        |  Hosting, and TCP-IP Networks for Midcoast Maine
 http://f64.nu/   |             http://www.midcoast.com/
*/