List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Slightly OT: headset for VoIP / Video Conf
From:       John Todd <jtodd () loligo ! com>
Date:       2006-06-18 5:40:04

At 9:51 AM -0400 6/17/06, Patrick W.Gilmore wrote:

>Sorry for the off-topic post, but....
>
>Looking for recommendations on a headset to use for VoIP / Video
>Conferencing.  Anyone use anything they like?
>
>I have a six hour video conference on Monday, so it's slightly
>urgent, and I can't mail order.  I guess I could buy something and
>return it if there is something too awesome to pass up through mail
>order.
>
>Suggestions?
>
>--
>TTFN,
>patrick

"More information needed."  but I'll give a lunge at some guesses, anyway.

If you're asking about a USB or mini-plug microphone and earpiece, I
don't have any suggestions.  They all pretty much have been miserable
in my experience, so I avoid them.

However, if you're dialing in on a "telephone" type device, such as a
Cisco 7960/7940/79xx, Sipura/Linksys, etc. or an analog phone, I'd
suggest the Hello Direct Pro/EX headset.  Been using them for more
than a decade, and the one I have now is about, oh, 6 years old now,
since I managed to swap a "new" one to replace the "old" one as I
departed a certain networking company in California.  They're
expensive, but worth it.  I did read that you said "videoconference,"
but very often it is reasonable to have separate video and audio
streams through different devices if you have members who are
audio-only anyway.

If you don't necessarily need a headset, then I'd suggest the mVox
MV100 as a USB-only speakerphone.  It has echo and noise cancellation
that is great, has a wonderful microphone, the sound quality is
great, it's tiny enough to carry in a laptop bag without bulk, and it
has a cell-phone style micro headset jack on the side to adapt my
existing headset systems in the event I need privacy.  I think Radio
Shack carries them for about $40 (but maybe as low as $10?)   Their
MV900 has all these features, plus bluetooth and a rechargeable
battery, so it can be used without cords (the USB can be used to
charge it, or an A/C adapter) but it's a LOT more expensive.

Back on topic, to some degree:  I've always been astonished with the
poor sound quality that people put up with on their laptop speakers
and microphones.  It would seem a natural to include an MV100 as a
"freebie" for VoIP providers to entice customers into signing up for
service, but so far I've only ever seen junk earbuds given away.  It
would almost seem like another natural to get some nice audio
input/output device and then "tie" it's high-end capabilities to some
VoIP software that was then in turn locked to a particular VoIP
service provider who has codecs or methods that support new features.
Stereo is notably lacking in almost all SIP endpoints, and could be a
notable differentiator for a clever company.

Lastly: if you're having a video conference, get a Tandberg, Polycom,
or Marconi and do it the "right" way.  They have excellent microphone
systems, and you just need to plug it into a decent high-end stereo
to get good sound reproduction on the playback.  ;-)

JT