List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: UPS voltages
From:       "Don Lashier" <dl () newportnet ! com>
Date:       2005-06-06 20:15:50

On 5/31/2005 at 9:28 AM Jason Philbrook wrote:

>There aren't really any manuals at APC website for us to research this
>product. The seller claims "close enough - it should work at 208v." I
>don't want to cause a fire or zap anything. The power cabling for this
>UPS is of the european variety - female computer style output plugs on
>the back. For input it has fat prongs. I have used 240v APC
>masterswitches fine on 120v but have never run a UPS at other than
>designated voltage. Does european 240v power use 2 hots and
>neutral/ground like US 240v, or is it wired like US 120v (1 hot, 1
>neutral, 1 ground)

Three phase is still 120v from each leg to neutral but two hot legs
only measure 208v because of the phase being 120d instead of 180d.
Some 240 stuff will work on two legs of a 3-phase and some stuff
won't, depending on whether it's phase sensitive. I've got no idea
whether the APC will work or not but I don't think you'll smoke
anything trying it. You can also get converters but that's probably
not an ideal solution in this case. If all else fails I may be in
the market for a unit like this if shipping isn't prohibitive.

- Don