List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Delegating /24's from a /19
From:       Pete Templin <petelists () templin ! org>
Date:       2005-03-15 18:45:53

Mike Sawicki wrote:

> Our organization has a /19 assignment from ARIN.  We have given
> portions of this space to several other companies within our
> corporate umbrella.  Several of these other companies have their own
> nameservers, and would like to be able to manage DNS on their own
> for their in-addr.arpa. blocks.  What would be the best way to
> delegate authoritiy for them?  ARIN is pointing to our 2 nameservers
> for the entire /19.  Do I need to use some sort of RFC2317 method
> here, or would I be able to just install zones for each /24 with NS
> records pointing to the other companies' servers?  Also, what are
> some good ways to test and verify that this is all working?
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Technically, ARIN is pointing to your 2 nameservers for 32 /24s.

For customers with /25 and longer, we provide three choices:

1: Email us your info, and we'll populate our DNS server.
2: Do your own reverse DNS for the individual /32s, and we'll put one or
more NS records on each address sub-delegating at the /32 boundary.
3: RFC2317, though we normally suggest just using the lowest address
rather than with the slash size and/or the highest address.

For customers with /24 and shorter, we add a few more choices:

4: Permit our NS to perform zone transfers, and we act as
secondary/slave servers.
5: Do an ARIN Reassign Detailed form.
6: Do an ARIN Reallocate form.

If we had /16 or shorter ourselves and a customer has /17 to /24, option
7 would be to add NS records at the /24 boundary.

HTH
pt