List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Questions about COLO process
From:       Pete Templin <petelists () templin ! org>
Date:       2005-03-10 16:36:37

Daniel J. Vance wrote:
> We have a potential large COLO customer (100+mbps).  I'm putting together a
> diagram on how they would hook up to us.  Normally I just create a VLAN on
> our router and act as the customer's gateway.  Is this how it's normally
> done when a customer is of this size?  Is there any advantage in making the
> customer purchase a router and have that be the device that talks to us?

I'd recommend having them add a router.  They can perform packet
filtering themselves, and only call you if an individual problem is
overwhelming their router.  It also allows them to subnet as they see
fit, and saves you from cluttering up your interface if they add subnets
later.  Plus, if you and they have sufficient clue, you could establish
a BGP session for real-time blackholing if they need; that'd be tougher
without a direct router there.

pt