List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Migrating mail namespace from username to username@domain.name
From:       "Edward B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam () noc ! everquick ! net>
Date:       2004-06-20 16:17:53

BF> Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:46:10 -0500
BF> From: Brian Feeny

BF> We are looking to change it so that users pop mail from us
BF> @domainname rather than by just entering there username.  We
BF> use Qmail and will use this in conjunction with vmailmgr or
BF> vpopmail.

We did this with Sendmail and {I forget what pop3d served as the
base} a year or so ago.  I modified the pop3d to use Sendmail's
BDB virtusertable, and it works great.

Not sure how comfortable you are with C, but it only took me a
few hours to implement -- examining source, sorting out BDB
versions, and adding the hack.  It's been some time since I've
messed with Qmail (Postfix is my poison of choice), and I'm not
familiar with your pop3d, but it shouldn't be too hard.

I need to migrate our mail to Postfix, so I'll be hacking up a
maildir-capable pop3d in the hopefully-not-too-distant future.

BF> Is there an easy way to make this happen?  The ideal way
BF> would be to setup functionality so that if the user users
BF> there username (like they do now), it all works just as it
BF> does now.  But if they use there username@domainname, then it
BF> moves all there mail over, and from then on just there
BF> username won't work.

I like the trapdoor idea.  Adding a table of deprecated
usernames should do the trick.

BF> I am sure others have done stuff like this.  The main benefit
BF> is you eliminate username collisions and namespace issues
BF> when merging with other ISP's.

Yep.  We map <someone@mycompany.tld> to "mycomp_someone" behind
the scenes.  Would be nice to eliminate the intermediate step and
go directly to uids, but I've been too lazy^H^H^H^Hbusy to mess
with libc, LDAP, or anything like that.

Eddy
--
EverQuick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/