List:       inet-access
Subject:    RBL's
From:       Steve VanDevender <stevev () hexadecimal ! uoregon ! edu>
Date:       2004-04-30 22:01:46

Bob Love writes:
 > Getting to the point, like I said I'm a wee bit out of the loop - who's all
 > offering decent rbl lookups that's non-commercial, or is nobody rivalling
 > maps yet?

MAPS is basically obsolete.  We went through the hassle of getting a
MAPS RBL+ contract after they went commercial (which was mainly a hassle
because it was obvious they were completely unprepared for the
consequences of their own decision), and we are still using it, so I can
tell you that compared to the other DNSBLs we use it has very little
additional coverage.

Also, the correct generic term is DNSBL; "RBL" is a service mark of
MAPS.

I highly recommend these DNSBLs:

sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org (http://www.spamhaus.org/SBL,
http://spamhaus.org/XBL):  A combination of the SBL spam blocking list
and the XBL "eXploits Block List", which contains a large number of open
proxies and worm senders.  You can also use each separately via
sbl.spamhaus.org and xbl.spamhaus.org.

combined.njabl.org (http://njabl.org):  More open proxies, relays, and
spam sources; combined.njabl.org lists a large number of dialup, DSL,
and cable modem IP ranges.  If you don't want to block those, then you
can use dnsbl.njabl.org which doesn't fold in the dynablock.njabl.org
zone.

If you can use only one, use sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org.