List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: old cidera stuff
From:       "Patrick W.Gilmore" <patrick () ianai ! net>
Date:       2004-04-08 17:12:14

On Apr 8, 2004, at 12:34 PM, jlewis@lewis.org wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Patrick W.Gilmore wrote:
>
>> On Apr 8, 2004, at 11:09 AM, Brian Feeny wrote:
>>
>>> Bluestar did that too.  They rolled out a ton of gear and colo'ed
>>> into
>>> CO's
>>> then disappeared overnight and left the DSLAM's etc in the
>>> CO's............
>>> I wonder how that stuff is dealt with......
>>
>> eBay? :)
>
> By who?  What I've been told is that these FCs basically abandoned
> their
> gear in the COs and that now the CO (in the case I was interested in,
> BellSouth) owns the gear.  Of course, the longer the Bells sit on this
> gear wondering what to do with it, the more it depreciates.  I suspect
> it'll eventually end up being dumpstered (or whatever PC method they
> use
> to dispose of old telecom gear) when it becomes necessary to get it
> out of
> the way.

Of course not.  Either some enterprising ISP who has access will take
it and eBay it, or the equipment will sit there until the end of time.
Telcos don't dumpster things, they just build around them.  Think of
all the copper lines installed back in the 1800s which are still
running phone calls. :)

--
TTFN,
patrick