List:       inet-access
Subject:    RE: Web Content Filtering / Parental Controls
From:       "Jeffrey Meltzer" <jeffrey () meltzer ! org>
Date:       2003-12-23 23:36:43

This is a majority of our business (primarily serving K-12, etc).

I offered a tiered service.  If you want basic filtering, i'll use
squidguard, which gets the job done (but can't for my clients, since it's
not E-Rate eligible, a whole nother miserable ball of wax).  One step up
from that, you can get a SonicWall box pretty reasonably priced which does
filtering.  One step up from that is Websense which is an incredible
product, but a hefty pricetag comes with it...Symantec's got a product as
well (used to be called I-Gear, but they changed the name) that i've worked
with, it's ok also.

I try and stay away from Bess, i've had nothing but miserable experiences
with it personally (but I have customers who love it).

http://squidguard.mesd.k12.or.us/ has some pretty good squidGuard setup
docs, and he publishes a constantly updated blacklist.

Jeff