List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: trusted DNS
From:       Jason Philbrook <jp () saucer ! midcoast ! com>
Date:       2003-11-12 21:41:30

I don't use hostnames or fqdn's in firewall rules. It could slow things
down a lot looking up hostnames as it checks rules. And it might stop
working at all if one of the hostnames's nameservers have some trouble.

> I've got a general security question for the list.  When you're
> programming firewall rules, do you "hard code" with IP addresses, or do
> you use DNS entries?
> Followup: If you use DNS, what steps would be appropriate to ensure that a
> hacker does not change/usurp your DNS data and use it to effectively
> invalidate your firewall rules?
>
> Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX.  al@logical-approach.com
>            Voice: 972-379-2133 Fax: 972-379-2134
> MicroSoft is a giant marketing machine, that just happens to also sell software.

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Internet Access,
    KB1IOJ        |  Hosting, and TCP-IP Networks for Midcoast Maine
 http://f64.nu/   |             http://www.midcoast.com/
*/