List:       inet-access
Subject:    New Mimail.C Worm -- different in WinZip than Explorer?
From:       Rick Kunkel <kunkel () w-link ! net>
Date:       2003-10-31 22:04:09

Hello all,

Off topic I guess...(if there IS a consistent topic here)...BUT...

I got the Mimail.C worm in an email today.  I use Pine, so normally I have
no probs with these Microsoft vulnerabilities.  However, I was fairly
certain this was a virus, so i downloaded it to my windpows desktop and
double-clicked it.  Right now, .zip files are associated with Windows
Explorer, so it should have opened in there.  However, it didn't.  I got
that disconecerting half-second of hourglass, and then nothing.

"Damn," I though.  Then I opened WinZip and opened the .zip file.  Inside,
there was the photos.jps.exe file that I guess is infected.

A scan proved that I HAD gotten infected...

My question is this:  Is there a screwed up vulnerability in the handling
of .zip files in windows explorer?  Did I actually EXECUTE the contents of
that zip file?  It would appear so.

Or, would this have executed if .zip was associated with WinZip as well?
Somehow, I doubt it.

(Also, I read somewhere that the REAL filename was photos.zip.exe or
something weird like that.  I see no indication of this, either in the raw
email itself, or in the dos filename, or ANYWHERE.)

THanks,

Rick Kunkel