List:       inet-access
Subject:    95th percentile reporting package: ocoloc
From:       John Todd <jtodd () loligo ! com>
Date:       2003-07-23 0:12:21

Several years ago, I was frustrated by the lack of decent, simple
measurement programs that could tell me 95th percentile (or any other
percentile) usage on an SNMP-capable interface in a way that was
meaningfully parsed by external programs.  The MRTG hack is nice, but
I didn't completely like it, and I wanted to be able to do more
ad-hoc queries of the data set and get answers back quickly on a
large number of interfaces.

So, I convinced the good folks at Coloco (my employer then, and
inversely-ordered namesake of the program) to fund development of a
quickie program do that for our internal use, but with the
stipulation that it was open source.  Of course, it grew in scope
until it was decently able to handle quite a bit of stuff.  The
developer created a sourceforge implementation, but that hasn't gone
anywhere fast.  Coloco has been using it for some months, so it's
been proven internally to work quite well.

So, I have finally been prodded enough by my conscience and by some
long-term nagging people to put this package together for an alpha
release on a real FTP site, including some basic docs.  It works well
enough in my experience, but your mileage may vary.  Send me diffs if
you find bugs, and I'll apply them and re-release.

I think inet-access is an appropriate place to post this, since I
expect all of you at some point of another have had to bill based on
volume of traffic used, and probably all of you have either built
your own systems or cobbled something together with various bits and
pieces...  Feel free to pass this along to other lists that may find
it useful; I don't have the time to tell everyone everywhere about
useful things.  :-)

Find the release at http://www.loligo.com/ocoloc/

JT

------------------------

2003-07-22 Ocoloc README
jtodd@loligo.com

This is Ocoloc, which is a program that gathers SNMP interface statistics
from in/out byte counters and stores them for computation of 95th percentile
usage on that interface, as well as other useful stats.

The system is split into two parts: the poll program which gathers the data,
and the report program which parses the logs and provides the output for the
user.  The report program can be run from the command line to query an of
the following: an individual interface, all of the interfaces on a device,
or all interfaces on all devices.  The report interface also has a web-based
CGI call metod which is slightly less powerful but can be used for
commonly-used quick reports.

Specific dates and times can be used for start/stop measurements.  Different
output formatting (bits, bytes, megabytes, gigabytes) can be presented.
Configuration file for polling/reporting is XML based.

Sample report on a single interface, looking at bits (per second) for June:

whipped# report -u b -d core1.bwi1.network.coloco.com -i Hssi1/0 -s
060103-0001 -e 063003-2359
start time selected is Sun Jun  1 00:01:00 2003
   end time selected is Mon Jun 30 23:59:00 2003

             Host: core1.bwi1.network.coloco.com (7206 Core Router (lower))
        Interface: Hssi1_0
          Comment: To Big Customer Foofram, Inc.
       Start Time: Sun Jun  1 00:01:00 2003
         End Time: Mon Jun 30 23:59:00 2003
      Min Thruput: 590200
      Max Thruput: 33365128
      95% in ( b): 3323440
     95% out ( b): 7734832
     95% agg ( b): 9791480
      Avg in ( b): 697896
     Avg out ( b): 2136128
    Total in ( b): 3134646136848
   Total out ( b): 9594614202264
          Samples: 8624

The program is configurable to use different values other than 95th
percentile on an interface-by-interface basis.  Different SNMP strings can
be used for each device, or can be specified for all devices.

This documentation is terrible.  I will attempt to get better docs later,
but I'm kind of pressed for time at the moment.  Type "./report" for a
better summary of the report features, or look at the CONFIG-FILE examples.

This software was funded by a grant from Coloco, Inc.
(http://www.coloco.com/) which is why the name is "ocoloc".  However, at
this point Coloco is not actively updating or maintaining the software.  If
you have patches or comments, please send them to jtodd@loligo.com and I
will attempt to incorporate them into future releases.  The Ocoloc system
was written by Rob Harris