List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Protecting abuse@ addresses from spam
From:       Paul Chvostek <paul () it ! ca>
Date:       2003-06-20 6:11:43

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 06:09:56PM -0400, Damian Gerow wrote:

> > Those conditions are ORed, not ANDed.  In the complaints you've BCCd,
> > has the body contained "complain" or "complaint"?
>
> No, that's the point -- the body was just 'UCE', then the spam.  The subject
> may or may not have had the word 'complain' or 'complaint'.

Well, there's not much you can do with that....  If you want the spam to
be dealt with in a timely fashion, I would suggest submitting your
complaints in a manner that is as easily processed as possible.  When I
make a complaint, I preface it with a boilerplate paragraph explaining
that this is a spam complaint, and that the offending message is below.
Then I include the message, run through `sed 's/^/| /'` with full
headers, to avoid the possibility of nasty MIME parsing at the far end.

If a complaint looks like spam, it's entirely possible that it will be
dealt with as such.  If the extra effort to make a complaint look like a
complaint is too much hassle, then don't be surpsised if dealing with
that complaint will be given equal priority.

But in a perfect world, we wouldn't have spam in the first place.  :)

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul@it.ca>
  it.canada                                            http://www.it.ca/

-