List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Use of rate-limiting
From:       dsr () tao ! merseine ! nu
Date:       2003-06-13 15:49:45

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 02:53:49PM -0600, Peter Clark wrote:

> Question for you folks.  I work for a company that provides services over
> the Internet, particularly audio conferencing and collaboration
> applications.  I am assuming that rate-limiting performed on switches and
> routers is in wide-spread use by ISPs for client connections.  Is that a
> fair assumption, or do you prefer to limit the customer connection speeds by
> the physical circuits?

There are a whole bunch of things out there.

- physical circuit limitations
- overselling capacity
- "whole link" bandwidth limiting
- per protocol bandwidth limiting
- many QoS schemes ranging from "suitable for situation" through "badly
  misguided"

> I am asking, because I have found that bandwidth estimation tools, such as
> pathChirp, do not accurately reflect bandwidth limitations between two
> endpoints when rate-limiting is used.

Then don't use those tools. Generate a typical mixture of your traffic,
send it off to your consultant at the client's site, and see what
arrives. If this is a frequent need for you, then a little time invested
here should pay off.

-dsr-

--
Network engineer / pre-sales engineer available in the Boston area.
http://tao.merseine.nu/~dsr