List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: ARIN fun
From:       "Josh" <inet-access () bigsky ! net>
Date:       2003-02-15 21:14:52

From: Gerry Boudreaux <gerry@intersurf.com>

> My understanding is that you can pay them a $2500 fee to transfer the
space
> between the organizations.  *NOTE* This fee is waived for 2003.

The difficulty that I'm running into is that the account must be current to
transfer, if it isn't, you need to pay to bring it current before you can
transfer it.  At the one extreme this leads to a scenario where:

/17 due 1/1/03 ($4500)
/17 due 1/1/03 ($4500)

On 1/2/03 with both bills due, we want to transfer the blocks to be under
one org, so that we still only owe $4500.  Because the accounts are not
current, we must pay $9000 to bring them current, then process the transfer.

If we had processed the request on 12/31/02 while both accounts were
current, we would only owe $4500.

2 days difference results in $4500 extra.

Unfortunately it's muddied a good bit by the fact that the Powers That Be
didn't give me the bills or info until everything was already about three
months late, and the acquisition was a purchase of assets not a merger (IP
space is not an asset).   Since the IP space wasn't transferred, it isn't
covered under the bankruptcy filings.

It looks like we just need to bite the bullet, either pay the bill or move
the customers, based on everything that I've come across.  A tad
frustrating, but what isn't these days?

ciao
Josh

-