List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Herb's 53/UDP hack (Re: Wifi hotspot servers?)
From:       Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl () beer ! org>
Date:       2002-12-30 19:05:18

inet-access@jasons.us  wrote:
 > Is there any reason to allow port 53UDP/TCP out from all machines on the
 > subnet?  Why not set up your own DNS box and allow 53 only to/from there
 > to the outside world?  I would assume there's a *NIX box there to manage
 > the dhcp leases and such so why not have it do one more function?

A smart person would do that, but no one can accuse the local telco,
who setup the airport wifi crud, of being smart.

I live on top of a hill and can see the airport about 15km to the
east. I plan to take my 15dB gain 2.4Ghz antenna, stick it on my
roof, and point it at the airport to see if I can catch the WAP's. I
wonder if the men in dark glasses will show up at my door?

I figure $20/month for a few mb/sec of bandwidth would nicely augment
my ISDN line.

---
Real PC Serial console & remote reset - The PC Weasel! http://www.realweasel.com
-
Recent archives of the list can be found at:
http://mix.twistedpair.ca/pipermail/inet-access/