List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Lot of traffic on these ports, what the hell is it?
From:       "Robert A. Hayden" <rhayden () geek ! net>
Date:       2002-05-24 19:22:11

I am not in frint of a router right now to give you an exact example, but
you should be able to do something like:

int ethernet0
bridge group 5
no shut

and then hook your sniffer up to eth0 and sniff away.  Ports in bridge
group are functionally like they are hooked up to a hub, so all ports see
all traffic.  You may have to mess with a few other settings, but you get
the idea.

On Fri, 24 May 2002, John Gonzalez/netMDC admin wrote:

> Well, all our ATM connections are bridged, and they all have a bridge
> group.
>
> How would I add an ethernet interface into the bridge group tho,
> assuming I had an extra one on the router?
>
> You have any example code snippets?
>
> On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 12:04:19PM -0500, Robert A. Hayden wrote:
> > You could build a bridge group and add these two interfaces and an
> > ethernet jack so you can sniff it.  Dunno what, if anything, that will do
> > towards killing your performance, though; of if you even have a ethernet
> > jack available.
> >
> > On Fri, 24 May 2002, John Gonzalez/netMDC admin wrote:
> >
> > > I have some traffic going across these ports (quite a bit) and have not
> > > been able to find what program would be using them..
> > >
> > > 6392 -> 1242
> > > 6389 -> 3090
> > > 6360 -> 4607
> > > 6382 -> 4734
> > >
> > > Anyone have any idea?

-
Recent archives of the list can be found at:
http://mix.twistedpair.ca/pipermail/inet-access/