List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: QoS for VoIP
From:       Brian <signal () shreve ! net>
Date:       2002-02-21 17:04:16

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Krzysztof Adamski wrote:

> What would be a good and cheap choice for doing QoS on the CPE?
>
> I have one customer that wants to interconnect his offices with ADSL lines
> (1.5M/300k) and he wants to do VoIP between them. The only problem is that
> he transfers large files, so he wants to manage the upstream bandwidth in
> such a way that he still can do VoIP between offices while the transfer is
> being done. And as usual cost it the factor.
>
> I was thinking of a Cisco1605 or 1720, anything better/cheaper, or will
> the 1605 be able to do this?

Use RSVP / RTP Priority.  If your running just a few lines, maybe a CPE
that supports both voice and dsl is your best bet.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fvvfax_c/vvfqos.htm

> -
> Recent archives of the list can be found at:
> http://mix.twistedpair.ca/pipermail/inet-access/
> Eat sushi frequently.   inet@inet-access.net is the human contact address.

Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036	   e: signal@shreve.net
Network Engineer	   p: 318.222.2638x109