List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Fiber versus Cat 5e
From:       Lance Julander <lists () terragon ! com>
Date:       2002-02-20 23:04:38

>  Second, I am not familiar with
> Fiber, do I need a switch with a fiber port?  If so, can anyone
> recommend a good solution/switch?

In some situations we've used fiber media converters.  Basically, it's a
small little box that converts 100Base-TX (RJ-45) to 100Base-FX (fiber
optic) and vice versa.

Here's an Allied Telesys version (which I am not endorsing....just using
it as an example):

http://www.alliedtelesyn.com/allied/products/viewproduct.asp?category=3&id=107

This particular model costs less than $200.  We had a hospital that had
fiber running between their main building and two other remote
locations.  They had an existing network in their main building and it
was much cheaper for us to use the fiber media converters than buying
new switches that had fiber ports or trying to buy the fiber port for
the switch they are using.  The two remote locations only had a few
computers and it was cheaper to use a fiber media converter and a cheap
switch than to buy a switch with a fiber port.

I don't know the exact model of fiber media converter we use (our
Interconnect department usually installs those), but I'm sure some
people on the list can give you advice if you're interested.

Hope it helps,

-Lance