List:       inet-access
Subject:    CA Unicenter and other Managment Suites
From:       Brian <signal () shreve ! net>
Date:       2002-02-20 19:57:51

Is anyone using CA's Unicenter product?  We were taking a look at it,
attractive is that you can pay on a monthly basis, month to month, for
just the features you want, rather than having to buy it right out.  I
looked at some products that wanted as much as $125k just to get started.
All I really want to do is have a centralized managment suite to monitor
and watch things around here like: Multichannel DS3 circuits, Wireless
AP's, core routers, NAS boxes, ATM PVC's provisioned off the redback, etc.

And yes we use MRTG already, but I am looking for something with a
database backend, mib compiling and basically a much more polished
interface that is going to save me alot of time.  We do all of our
managment in house right now, but at some point it may prove a good
idea to invest in a good suite that will save us time and create
charts and graphs of some really good info.  Even something like Castle
Rock SNMPc is something I have looked at to possibly save us some time.

The thing about CA's product, is it looks very Microsoft centric, and I am
not sure how good something like that is at monitoring Cisco, Redback,
Linux cpu/load/disk/mem, etc.  Perhaps it boils down to just using its
features as a MIB compiler/snmp trap, and going with something better
priced/suited like Castle Rocks product.

Brian

Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036	   e: signal@shreve.net
Network Engineer	   p: 318.222.2638x109
ShreveNet Inc.		   f: 318.221.6612

-
Recent archives of the list can be found at:
http://mix.twistedpair.ca/pipermail/inet-access/