List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: DNS overlap
From:       "Josh Higham" <inet-access () bigsky ! net>
Date:       2002-02-15 15:19:45

From: "Dan MacNeil" <dan@ltc.org>

> How bad is it to have a DNS server that is not authoritative for your
> domain handing out DNS info that is different than the authoritative
> server ?
>
> I can imagine switching the authoritative DNS server to one we
> control, leaving the MX records alone and pointing the relevant CO and
> A records to where we want the web hosting to be...

It's not very bad; basically anyone that uses the old DNS server will get
wrong data.  If that's a small set then it isn't a big problem.  We get it
occasionally when a customer moves a domain but doesn't notify us; our
customers are unable to email them or go to their website.

Once you have moved the registration, the company should be more willing to
work with you regarding DNS, since Netsol no longer points to them.

Ciao
Josh

-
Recent archives of the list can be found at:
http://mix.twistedpair.ca/pipermail/inet-access/