List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: windowsupdate.microsoft.com inaccessible to Windows XP?
From:       Vincent Poy <vince () oahu ! WURLDLINK ! NET>
Date:       2002-02-13 3:33:02

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Antonio Querubin wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Vincent Poy wrote:
>
> > 	I think you have to update the windowsupdate program to version 4
> > before it will work since there was a old version of version 4 and a new
> > version.  The only people who really had problems getting to windowsupdate
> > from IE6 is with IE6 SP1 beta's which redirects to a IP and then all you
> > do is search the registry for the key and change it back to
> > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
>
> I'm actually typing in the above URL, not the IP address but get the same
> results.
>
> The mystery deepens:
>
> % host -a windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> Trying null domain
> rcode = 0 (Success), ancount=3
> The following answer is not authoritative:
> The following answer is not verified as authentic by the server:
> windowsupdate.microsoft.com     85350 IN        SOA
> sjwu3dns1.download.windowsupdate.com hostmaster.sjwu3dns1.download.windowsupdate.com(
>                         2002013010      ;serial (version)
>                         28800   ;refresh period
>                         7200    ;retry refresh this often
>                         604800  ;expiration period
>                         86400   ;minimum TTL
>                         )
> windowsupdate.microsoft.com     6227 IN NS      sjwu3dns1.windowsupdate.com
> windowsupdate.microsoft.com     6227 IN NS      tkwu3dns1.windowsupdate.com
> For authoritative answers, see:
> windowsupdate.microsoft.com     6227 IN NS      sjwu3dns1.windowsupdate.com
> windowsupdate.microsoft.com     6227 IN NS      tkwu3dns1.windowsupdate.com
>
> Hmmm, no A RR found.
>
> % host -v windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> Trying null domain
> rcode = 0 (Success), ancount=1
> The following answer is not authoritative:
> The following answer is not verified as authentic by the server:
> windowsupdate.microsoft.com     22 IN   A       207.68.131.27
> For authoritative answers, see:
> windowsupdate.microsoft.com     5543 IN NS      sjwu3dns1.windowsupdate.com
> windowsupdate.microsoft.com     5543 IN NS      tkwu3dns1.windowsupdate.com
> Additional information:
> sjwu3dns1.windowsupdate.com     820 IN  A       207.46.106.84
> tkwu3dns1.windowsupdate.com     820 IN  A       207.46.226.11
>
> I wonder if Microsoft's DNS is partially hosed...

	It might be since it all depends on which route you take...  I
thought Akamai took over Microsoft's DNS or something.   But the URL works
for me since it goes to
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp and then it says
checking for latest version of Windows Update before it goes to the site
where you can scan for updates....  I am using IE6 SP1 6.0.2813.3000 while
I think the one that came with XP is 6.0.2600.  When I installed 6.0.2813
and 6.8.2811 both are Beta SP1's, it changed Windows update from IE to a
protected 131.x.x.x address so myself and others regedit and changed it
back to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and it works again...  6.0.2600 had
only one key while 2811 and above has 2 keys that has the setting.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin

-
Recent archives of the list can be found at:
http://mix.twistedpair.ca/pipermail/inet-access/