List:       inet-access
Subject:    CiscoWorks with non-Cisco gear
From:       Pete Kruckenberg <pete () kruckenberg ! com>
Date:       2002-01-26 20:34:49

Anyone know if the introduction of non-Cisco gear into a
network breaks CiscoWorks (CW2K)?

I work on an end-to-end Cisco network now, where we rely
heavily on CiscoWorks for things like config archival,
reconfiguration "blasting", pretty pictures of gear, etc.

We are considering changing our backbone layer to non-Cisco,
and are curious whether that will impact CiscoWorks in any
way.

Something like this:

[CiscoWorks]----[Cisco1]---[Non-Cisco]---[Cisco2]---[Cisco3]

How will the presence of the Non-Cisco gear affect
CiscoWorks functionality on Cisco2 and Cisco3 devices?

From what I've read, it seems the only CW2K functionality
this design would break is the CDP-based network discovery.
You'd have to discover starting at Cisco1, then start
discovery again at Cisco2, since CDP would not pass through
the Non-Cisco device.

Thanks.
Pete.

-
Recent archives of the list can be found at:
http://mix.twistedpair.ca/pipermail/inet-access/