List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: Sending millions of messages in a reasonable time
From:       Jeff Lasman <jblists () nobaloney ! net>
Date:       2001-11-25 7:33:56

A month and a half old, but what the heck... here's my reply <smile>...

Matt Levine wrote:

> Why don't you take some of your budget and call a $500/hr consultant
> to talk to you about email delivery?  Management would not likely
> approve a suggestion from a bunch of little isps.

Okay, I'll take the consultant's job <smile>.  It's a bit higher than my
normal rate, but what the heck; I may be the only guy on the list who's
actually tried this and lived to tell about it.

It doesn't matter what your hardware or software is.  It's not going to
work.  Because you're going to get so many bounces that your servers are
going to crash anyway.

Unless of course you throw away returned undeliverables, or misdirect
them to begin with.  In which case everyone will (with good
justification) think you ARE a spammer, whether you are or not.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman <jblists@nobaloney.net>
Linux and Cobalt/Sun/RaQ Consulting